Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My Olympic Journey Part 1

**Parts of this entry was written on different days…I’ll try to make it as clear as I can**

Written at the beginning of December 2009
Vancouver 2003

”…and the 2010 Olympics will go to VANCOUVER, CANADA!!!”  *cheers…*  Well, perhaps the announcement didn’t quite go like that, but it would have been similar.  If asked to recall what the atmosphere was like in the city during the time that Vancouver was up for bid to host the 2010 Winter Olympics, I would have replied with an honest “We were up for bid for what?”  


That’s right, at 17 years old I was completely oblivious about what was going on in my own hometown.  I blame it on the fact that I had just graduated from high school and was thinking about more important things, like starting University, where after 6 years I am still attending.  Yes, I am still in school, but if it makes any difference (for better or worse) at all, I am working towards getting my second degree.  Other than the second degree, something else has also changed since that day back in 2003.  Today, I not only know that Vancouver will be hosting the 2010 Winter Olympics, but I am also volunteering for it.  I credit my involvement from my desire to be a part of something as huge as the Olympics… and for the free uniform/and stuff.  Even though I’m told that we don’t get to keep the uniforms until the end of the Olympics, let’s face it.  I have an appointment in 3 weeks (UPDATE: it has now been 3 weeks since I’ve picked up my uniform.  This entry was written a long time ago and I have just neglected to post it until now) to pick up my uniform and accreditation when the Olympics officially starts in 2.5 months.  It’s MINE!

This all started back in June of 2009 when VANOC decided to paper the town with advertisements about volunteering for the Olympics, to become involved as the Olympic is a once in a lifetime opportunity (those people who will be volunteering for the fifth time might disagree with this sentiment).  Now I know what many of you may be thinking, “Wow, she completely went for those cheesy lines,” and you would be completely right.  I fell hook, line and sinker for them and dragged my dad to volunteer with me. 

We got phoned interviewed and we went to the Orientation session where we had to sit through 6 hours (yes 6ish HOURS) of mindless Olympic regaling.  Finally a few months went by and by September 2009 I was assigned to be a Press Assistant at Trout Lake (the figure skating training centre).  Unfortunately, my dad didn’t get placed anywhere and I’m pretty sure it’s due to lost paperwork or some such things like that.  We had a few more training sessions afterwards that were so general and not all that helpful that it’s not even worth my time recapping them. 

Written sometime near the end of December 2009
Finally the day that I’ve been waiting for happened on December 23, 2009.  The day I got to go and pick up my Uniform and Accreditation.  I have to admit, until that day I wasn’t all that excited about the Olympics.  All I had really thought about was my schedule, how early I would have to wake up for them and how tired I would be by the end of the day.  I’m not really sure if I can post pictures of my accreditation yet, but you’ve probably have seen the uniforms online, which according to Olympic standards I am a Small, which I haven’t been a Small since early high school years and that was a long time ago.

Venue Specific training happens on Feb 2, and then there will be about 4 shifts where I will be in school and volunteering at the same time.  It’ll be interesting to see how stressed out I’ll get, but as the Olympic approaches and actually happens I’ll try to post more updates on what happened during my shifts.  Unfortunately, it has been highly emphasized that no cameras or pictures are allowed, but honestly, is that going to prevent me from at least trying to get some snapshots?

Stay tuned!! 

**I’ll try to post more often when I start my shifts.  Apologies for the complete FAIL at updating this blog.  Jake will be posting some of his things soon.**         

No comments: