Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Olympic Journey Part 2

The first day of my Olympic volunteering came and went.  It started at 10am which is the latest of all of my morning shifts (I believe my earliest one is at 6:30am..yeah…FML…but I guess I asked for it?).  I got to Trout Lake and breezed through security.  I had a small side bag and they didn’t even ask me to put it through the scanner, which makes me think that they don’t seem all that concerned about threats against Trout Lake?  Or maybe I just looked that trust worthy. 

I suppose I should feel lucky that today was my first day, as volunteers had started going to the venue 2 days ago and on both days there were no athletes or media people so the volunteers were basically sitting on their bums doing nothing.  Two pairs and two men came to the venue to practice.  Probably the most popular among the skaters who showed up today, would be Michal BREZINA form Czech Republic.  He came in 3rd in Nagano, which is a big deal (I think?).  He did an interview with some Swedish broadcasters which I got to watch.  Being able to watch him practice the Triple Axels and Loops up close was very neat and made me realize how skilled these people are (not to mention brave). 

The other skater from the Men’s category was Zoltan KELEMEN from Romania.  He didn’t seem as skilled as BREZINA, but it was still fun to watch.  The pairs, Maylin HAUSH/Daniel WENDE (Germany) and Stacey KEMP/David KING (Great Britain) were there today as well.  It was pretty cool to watch them practice the synchronization parts of their routine, the lifts and jumps.  I thought both pairs were pretty good but they aren’t among the top contenders for their respective medals so I can’t wait to see the top contenders from all categories come out to play, especially the women skaters. 

Other than watching the skaters, I interacted with many of the media people who came out to scope out the place and try to see where they can place camera people and get schedules.  The media people seems ok for now, I’m sure as the Olympics approach and deadlines get closer we’ll see a different side of them. 

Well that’s it for today.  I have to start doing homework, as being in the Olympics DURING school time is starting to stress me out a tad (my friends would say more than just a tad…but…..well they might be more truthful than me). 

I apologize for the grammar and spelling mistakes.  I’m tired and short on time.          

No comments: