Monday, February 8, 2010

Olympic Volunteer Day 2

Day 2 started out pretty busy for me.  I went in early at around 3pm (my shift actually started at 3:45pm) and was put immediately to work.   The 3 China pairs had just finished skating so the venue was crawling with Chinese media people.  I’m sort of sad that I missed watching them skate but I’m sure I’ll get another opportunity too.  The next group had the famous pair from Germany, the World Champions.  I think their names are Alona and Robin (last names are purposely omitted as they are long, complicated and foreign).  I think something was wrong as they didn’t stay on the ice for too long, but from what I was able to see they were pretty good.  The other pairs on the ice clearly have to improve a great deal to compete with them.  After the pairs left, it got pretty quiet for a while.  The men were able to practice for the rest of the night.  There was a guy from Kazakhstan and his jumps were pretty impressive, although I had more fun saying “Kazakhstan” all night.  The next group of men skaters were from Romania (the same guy as from my last post) and a guy from Germany (Stefan something).  Stefan was a pretty solid skater and landed some impressive jumps and combinations.  BREZINA was back again for another practice run and I was rink side all through his practice (I was pretty much rink side for most of the men’s practices).  He managed to land 3 perfect quadruple toe jumps.  It was pretty fantastic to be able to watch him do that about 8 feet away from me.  My shift ended early due to the lack of athletes, but I think that will change during my next shift where pre-practices are done and real practices start.  I can’t wait! 

Sorry for the short post, but homework awaits.  

No comments: